- Our strength
Our strength @ TMDU
World leader of Pathologic Myopia and Uveitis
- Our High Myopia Clinic was established in 1974 by Honorary Prof. Takashi Tokoro and now Prof. Kyoko Ohno-Matsui has succeeded. This clinic has been the biggest clinic specialized for Pathologic Myopia. Now the registered patients have exceeded 3,500 and they visit us from other Asian countries as well as Western countries. We can provide the best possible care for this blinding disease.
- Our Uveitis clinic was established in 1997 by Honorary Prof. Manabu Mochizuki and now Assistant Prof. Hiroshi Takase has succeeded. We use the state-of-the art diagnostic methods including multiplex PCR. The patients visit us for the proper diagnosis and the best possible care for this devastating illness.
Highly skilled and trained surgeons for various eye surgery
- Vitreo-retinal surgery; Our department has lots of staff who are highly trained for the most advanced vitreo-retinal surgeries. The vitreo-retinal surgeries for highly myopic patients are considered one of the most difficult surgeries, however, we have invented a novel surgical technique to treat this condition. We are highly experienced and skilled for difficult vitreo-retinal surgeries.
- Cataract surgery; In addition to conventional cataract surgery, the implantation of multifocal IOL is performed to regain the patients' best satisfaction.
- Glaucoma surgery; In addition to conventional trabeculectomy, the shunt surgery has been done especially in the patients with secondary glaucoma. Specially appointed Prof. Makoto Aihara, the world leader of glaucoma kindly treats patients and educates our staff.
- Oculoplastic surgery; This surgery is not popular in Japan. However in our department, highly skilled staff performs the oculoplastic surgeries to treat the lid ptosis or other age-related conditions with favorable and satisfactory results.
- Refractive surgery (phakic IOL); coming soon
Cover all the diseases causing blindness
- Not only pathologic myopia and uveitis, all the ocular diseases causing blindness are managed by us using the state-of-the art diagnostic techniques and treatment skills.
- Our subspecialties include (see our subspecialties link)
・age-related macular degeneration and other macular diseases
We provide the best possible care at the world highest level for blinding eye diseases. Please visit our subspecialty page for each disease.
Diagnostic skills are superb
- Although the ophthalmologists can see the fundus directly and use many imaging tools, it is still difficult for most of them to accurately interpret the findings.
- Each of our staff is highly trained for ocular imaging.
- Correct diagnosis and identifying the cause of visual impairment is a key to the best treatment. So we think diagnostic skills very important and keep training all the time.
Come visit us for the best possible eye care!